Tuesday, October 6, 2015

When Everybody's Getting Married But You're Not

Once you graduate from high school, crazy things start happening; people leave on missions, everyone moves away to college, you actually have to work hard so that you can live, your girlfriends start dating guys... break ups happen... proposals happen... engagements happen, and then... marriage happens.

It's probably not so weird for all of the girls getting engaged... but it is for the ones that aren't getting engaged and are sitting in the back of the theater with their tubs of extra butter popcorn watching life happen around them up on the big screen.

I couldn't believe the amount of friends and old high school classmates that were engaged or married within the first year of graduation. It seemed as if I was typing my address into the "Save the date! We're getting married!!" Facebook page almost three times a month.

And then the class below me graduated. The amount of wedding announcements nearly doubled. And there I was... snacking on my junior mints and blue raspberry Slurpee while I sunk lower and lower into my seat in the theater featuring my life story.

It wasn't so much the old high school acquaintances that were making me step back in shock and awe, it was my friends.

I remember sitting down in a circle with my closest of friends nearing my graduation day. We put together a time capsule that wouldn't be opened until 2018. In it are fun memories and letters we've written to each other. Along with other trinkets and pictures, is a paper that has our lives planned out. We were even so bold as to write down who we thought our future spouses would be!

I can tell you right now... my life is nothing like what is written on that paper. And neither is anybody else's. The friends we imagined married are currently serving missions. Those of us that thought we wanted to attend school somewhere have since discovered they were needed elsewhere (*cough* me *cough*).

Then, there are the friends that are happily married (those included in the time capsule and those not).

I remember one of my closest friends began seriously dating someone she had met while attending school. She told me all about how much he loved and cared for her and how happy he made her. I couldn't wait to meet him.

I hated him.

Almost every time his name was brought up in conversation I was trying to sway her opinion of him; making him sound like a bad guy. I said any and everything to try and make her question this boy.

Despite my best efforts they got married. And I realized I was going to have to either fake that I liked him... or actually try and like him - considering she was now stuck with him for forever.

The situation above has  happened many times. In fact, it's happened as each and every single one of my married (or soon-to-be married) friends has met the man of their dreams.

They excitedly tell me all about the boy and how amazing he is, how kind he treats her, and how special she feels when they're together. I'm happy and excited until I actually meet the man that holds my friends heart captive. I quizzically stare into their eyes and wonder if they're even close to good enough for my dear friend.

And then I begin my mission. Operation: make them break up!!!

I'll admit... I'm not proud that I naturally do this. But I can't help wanting the best for the girls that have been there for me through the ups and downs and the bad and the ugly - because they definitely deserve the best.

I have a close friend very near to becoming engaged. I remember rolling my eyes when I first heard all about their plans. I quickly began playing devils advocate - telling her she should try dating other boys.

While talking one day, we got into an argument. During this momentarily prideful time, I knew she was struggling. She was working crazy hours and trying to fit in time to be at home with her family. She was totally and completely stressed but was somehow managing to function normally throughout the day (I still haven't figured out how to do this myself). She had expressed to me numerous times that she felt lost and didn't know what to do and had asked that I would pray for her.

I'll admit that while I was frustrated with her, I excluded her from my prayers (don't do that - it's lame). At the time, I didn't notice that by not praying for this friend, my heart was becoming more and more hard towards her. I became angrier whenever I thought about her and would often complain, trying to convince myself I didn't want to repair the friendship.

Once the summer ended, she moved back to Idaho where she attends school, with her boyfriend. I began to hear things about her through other friends and realized how much I missed being part of her life. My mind wandered back to the time when she shared her struggles with me and almost instantly, a wave of guilt came over me.

That night, I prayed for her for the first time in weeks. I prayed that she would find answers she was seeking and that she would be able to feel at peace. I prayed that my heart would be softened and that I would know how to fix my mistakes.

Eventually we began talking to each other and I was again reminded that she was still dating the same boy. However, this time I promised myself that I wouldn't try and convince her he wasn't good enough.

I began praying for her boyfriend. I know... it sounds totally bizarre... but it actually works!! I prayed that they both would be able to be successful in school and that the Lord would help them make the right decisions in their life.

Slowly, my idea on my friend marrying this boy began to change. I no longer viewed them as young and naive. Nor did I think he wasn't "good enough" for her or that they weren't ready to make such a commitment.

Instead of pointing out all of the negative or the things that could go wrong... I was realizing all of the reasons why they actually were ready for marriage.

I remembered all of the times when she shared with me spiritual moments from his mission. I remembered all of the nice things he had done for her and said to her. I remember all of the times when she felt totally special and loved.

Instead of seeing this girl as someone not prepared for marriage, I saw a hard working and devoted woman. Someone who had spent her life serving the Lord and working towards becoming the best possible her she could become.

After I began praying for them both, I realized I was becoming more and more excited. I became more accepting of him and even welcomed the idea of them getting married.

The Lord has blessed me with some of the most amazing friends. Friends that I know will forever and always be there for me, even if they're married. My life has been changed because of the individuals the Lord has so graciously placed into my life.

Before graduation I thought life would go according to the paper I filled out and placed in the time capsule shoe box that's hidden in my parents home. I couldn't imagine life turning out to be any different than that.

However, I've come to find out that life has turned out much better than what's written on that piece of paper. And I'm sure all of my friends would agree.

I've watched as numerous close friends and acquaintances have been snatched up and married. Even though I don't think a man will ever be good enough for these incredible individuals, I'm thankful the Lord is here to help me see them through His eyes.

I'm thankful for the experience I was able to have as I've watched this friend approach one of the most important decisions she'll make in her life on this earth. The Lord truly has allowed me to view both of them through His eyes as He's helped soften my heart.

Because these friends are the best of the best, I know that they have or will make the right choices in their lives. I've seen them hand their lives over to the Lord and serve Him day after day. I've seen them learn the importance of hard work. I've seen them grow into individuals the Lord is proud of. And I couldn't be more thankful for their examples to me.

* * *

Related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment