Saturday, October 10, 2015

Heather


Mary and I first met when I was a freshman and she was a senior at American Fork high school. We were both members of the marching band; she on the clarinet and I on the flute. Despite knowing each other for years, we didn't really become more than just acquaintances until both of us had graduated. Westlake high school opened up in 2009 and Mary began staffing as the Woodwind instructor the following year. In 2013, I began staffing as well, causing both our paths to cross again. It's been both a privilege and an honor to work with and become close friends with this beautiful and kind woman. She's been an inspiration to many and has changed my life in more ways than she could ever know. And for that I am truly grateful.

{Mary & I - 2013}

On October 10 in 2009, both of our lives were altered. I've written a post every single year since it's happened and I still don't know quite what to say. This year, I decided not only to share my thoughts and feelings, but Mary's as well. It's been interesting to see how the events that transpired that night have helped shape and change our lives in very unique and different ways. As we've taught the students at Westlake we've been able to share our stories and help the legacy of our hero, Heather, live on.

Thank you, Heather.

{American Fork high school WW section - 2009}

The events of that night will never leave my memory - I can remember everything almost perfectly.

I've shared the story time and time again, but I'd like for you to go back with me as we celebrate the six year anniversary, to the day, of the bus crash. We were coming home from our competition in Pocotello, Idaho when our bus driver unexpectedly passed out. Our bus, filled with high school students, was now traveling off of the road.

I still remember being awakened by the rumble strips before feeling the turbulent jerks and jolts from the uneven ground beneath us. I can still see the stark blackness as I struggled to look out the front window of the bus. I remember the pain stabbing through my body as my head hit the roof. I can still hear the piercing sounds of the painful and terrified screams of those around me. 

I remember watching the dust slowly settle as we looked around at each other, eyes filled with emotions ranging from confusion to frightened. The dead silence lasted only a moment before the tears coupled with screams cut through. 

I looked around, unsure of what to do. Neither a word nor a sound escaped my mouth. I tried to sift through our scrambled instruments and bags in an attempt to find my own but had no luck. So I sat completely still.

In front of me were two friends. One was clinging to her face as blood dripped through her fingers and down the side of her cheek; the other held her closely as she tried to control her own tears. I noticed a girl above me try to make her way down from the seat she somehow managed to stay in throughout the accident. Some were trying to find their personal belongings while others made sure those around them weren't badly injured.

I turned to my right and saw a familiar face trying to open the emergency exit window from the outside. We began filing out one by one and made our way to the edge of the road. The flashing lights of the cop cars lit up the dark sky with blue and red.

We clung to each other. Sung together. Prayed together. Cried with each other.

Just a few months prior to this I had contemplated quitting band; which is quite humorous considering just how much it has become a part of my life. Looking back, it seems as if the one thing that kept me going back was this bus accident.

I will never forget the moment Mr. Miller, our band director, informed us that our Woodwind instructor had died. Students later shared their experiences after the accident, explaining they saw Heather stand up and try to control the course of the bus. After police were done investigating, it was determined that Heather had truly saved the lives of each and every one of her high school students aboard bus #2.

Band and music became something I clung to after that night. Almost instantly, a bond was formed between the students that hadn't been there before. Despite our struggles, we became more unified and built each other up - creating a group of people that will never be forgotten.

Throughout my high school years, band became something I loved dearly. Whenever I needed a relief from school or home, I knew band was there. I could play my emotions through my music and found that I loved being able to share a story that only music could adequately express.

The friendships I've gained from my high school and post high school band careers are relationships I both cherish and love. The attributes and lessons I've learned from participating in this activity have helped shape and build me into a hard working and determined individual. I'll forever be grateful for the experiences I've been blessed with as I've lived a life full of music.

As I look back through the years, I can't help but feel completely grateful for Heather and her act of selfless love. If it weren't for the events that transpired that night forward, I know I wouldn't be where I am today.

As briefly mentioned above, I have the honor and privilege of working with some of the most incredible individuals at Westlake high school. I've experienced a small taste of what I'm positive Heather felt for her students while teaching - although I'm sure I'll never know the magnitude of her love. The students, parents, and staff that I've worked and associated with have continued to change my life, just as Heather has. I've learned more lessons from them than I'm sure they have from me.

I've enjoyed continuing to participate in activities and associate with those that help my love of music grow and thrive. It has been an honor to continue to help the legacy and life of Heather Christensen live on as I've followed in her footsteps.

Today I have the opportunity to be with my kids as we present our Pearl Harbor tribute show at USU. It has been bittersweet as we've been able to perform a show similar to that of 2009. I've enjoyed helping my students feel the same things I was able to feel that year.

Heather, words cannot express to you how thankful I am for you. Because of you, I know I'm where I am today. I can't wait to someday greet you again and give you a grateful hug. Thank you for the lessons you taught me, and still continue to today, as I've learned under your guidance and council. Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.

{Celebrating after BOA in St. George - 2009}

Dear Heather,

Six years has come and gone, October 10, 2009 seems as though it was a life time ago but I can also remember it as though it was just yesterday. Many people don't have any idea what the significance of that day is, but for me and about 50 of my closest friends we will forever remember it as the day you gave us a new meaning for the word, "hero". You were always someone that I looked up to and greatly admired, you were a super star, you knew how to fix any problem, you were the best and we all knew it! But what we didn't know is what would happen that night, the events that would unfold, and the tragedy that would change all of our lives forever. That night you made a sacrifice, you gave your life to save ours and literally gave each of us a second chance at life.

I often wonder to myself how am I supposed to say thank you, how can I ever repay you for what you did for me that night? How can I "pay it forward"? I will forever remember all the times you helped me solve a problem or deal with a fellow student in my section who I was unsure how to help. You always had the answer and if you didn't you knew where to find it. I always hope that someday I can be half the teacher you were to me. I often feel that I fall terribly short of that but I try my best to help the students who have been entrusted to me. I hope that in some small way I can help them in all the ways you helped me. In this way I hope to allow your incredible legacy to live on through me.

You are a big part of the reason I decided to become a teacher myself, at a time when I was considering whether or not to go into music education as a career you saw an opportunity to help me find out if it was for me or not. You asked me if I would want to come help you teach elementary band so that I could get a feel for teaching and see if it was really something I was interested in. Well thanks to you and your idea to allow me to help you that year I have now taught a total of four years of elementary band and six years of marching band. Those are things that I probably never would have been able to do on my own, but thanks to you I got my start.

It is from that small start in elementary band that I have now had the opportunity to be involved with a great many students and I hope to continue to be involved with many more in the years to come. It was mostly from you that I learned to love teaching and seeing the progress that students could make. You showed me that it didn't matter what the pay check was or how much sleep at night I got, it's about the students and helping them reach their fullest potential. I will forever be grateful to you for teaching me those life lessons. Whether I end up in education for the rest of my life or somewhere else that is something that I will take with me. Along with so many other lessons I have learned from you.

I cannot thank you enough for all you have taught me and continue to teach me as I look back on my time in the American Fork band program with you.

Heather, you Love will forever live on, thank you for everything you ever gave me, as a teacher, a friend and especially your final act of kindness. I will never be able to repay you so instead I will strive to pay that forward to future generations. I love and miss you so much, not a day goes by that I don't think of you.

Forever Grateful,

Mary


Greater love hath no man that this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment